IATA initiatives in Air Traffic Management (ATM) have been developed in cooperation with the relevant authorities and Air Navigation Service Providers (ANSPs). An even closer working relationship will enable the industry to realize significant operational benefits.
ATM & CNS Advocacy
IATA works relentlessly at the structural and operational level towards advocating for the implementation of a globally harmonized and interoperable ATM framework. This includes collaboration with key industry partners such as the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) to influence global standards and drive towards a safer, more efficient and sustainable operational environment.
Read more on IATA's activities and advocacy initiatives related to Air Traffic Management
View the User Requirements for Air Traffic Services (pdf) to find out about IATA’s positions on various Communication, Navigation and Surveillance (CNS) Technologies?????
Radio Spectrum is a finite resource that is essential for flight operations and ATM. IATA advocates for airline requirements during World Radiocommunication Conferences (WRC) where spectrum allocations are agreed by States.
Read the most recent outcomes of WRC-2019 (pdf) pertaining to aviation
Find out more about ongoing preparations for the next WRC meeting in 2023
Air Traffic Control (ATC) Charges
Commitment to a justified, transparent charges system from ANSPs and all industry partners will secure a sustainable future for aviation. IATA also works with air navigation service providers across the globe to drive cost-efficiency improvements. Find out about our policy activities related to infrastructure.
ATM in the news
See the Airport & ATM infrastructure news in Airlines Magazine
Air Traffic Management Resources
- IATA User Requirements for Air Traffic Services (pdf) - serves as a reference for airlines and ANSPs when determining airline infrastructure requirements/capabilities for air navigation services. It also includes IATA's positions on the various communications, navigation and surveillance technologies.
- The Aviation Charges Intelligence Center (ACIC) - formerly AAFCM - a database of all aeronautical charges, including landing, lighting, aircraft parking, passenger service, security, terminal navigation, emissions, noise, overflight charges and taxation
IATA offers financial solutions to help Air Navigation Service Providers to focus on their main activities.
Enhancement & Financing (E&F) Services: Increase in rates - Reduction in administrative costs - Improvement of financial reporting.
Simplified Invoicing & Settlement: e-invoicing for core suppliers and airlines with optional settlement services.
Benefit from expert help for Air Traffic Management and CNS consulting
IATA provides aviation training to thousands of professionals each year, helping to build careers and ensure sustainability throughout the industry. We offer a wide selection of ICAO-compliant courses for licensed air traffic control officers, management and staff.
- Benchmarking and Best Practices for Air Navigation Service Providers (Classroom, 5 days)
Learn how to use benchmarking effectively to deliver service improvements and achieve better performance results. Explore ANSP Key Result Areas and acquire new tools to measure and compare success.?
- Human Factors in Aviation (Classroom, 5 days)
Gain a comprehensive overview of human factors in aviation and the key reference documents and methodologies.
- Air Transport Fundamentals (Distance Learning)
Study the air transportation system plus the roles and functions of airlines, airports, Civil Aviation Authorities and Air Navigation Service Providers.
- Management of Air Navigation Services (Classroom, 5 days)
Improve your management of safe and efficient Air Navigation Services through this strategic approach which reviews all important aspects of the business.